There are four different versions of the template.
- General: this is the most flexible version of the policy, and the other versions are all based on this one. A copy is included in our business pack.
- Online shop: for websites selling goods online. This version is included in our online shop pack.
- Social networking: for social networks and similar websites. A copy of this version is included in our social networking pack.
- Lead generation: for websites that gather lead information that is passed to third party suppliers.
General privacy and cookies policy
- The first part of the template is concerned with the collection, storage and use of personal data, and is designed to aid compliance with the disclosure requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The third and final part of the template should be used for disclosing information (eg contact details) about the website operator.
The template is designed for websites that collect standard kinds of personal data for standard kinds of use. It may be unsuitable or insufficient for websites which collect sensitive personal data (such as information relating to a person’s health, sexuality, ethnicity or politics) or which collect personal information from children or about children.
Policy for online shops
This version of the privacy and cookies policy has been adapted for online shops: websites selling products to the public and to businesses. It covers the typical types of disclosure that an online shop will need to make, answering such questions as:
- What personal data is held as account data?
- How are payment details processed?
- What marketing rights will the website operator have in relation to customers?
Policy for social networking websites
Social network services typically process large amounts of sometimes sensitive personal information. For this reason, social network users expect website privacy policies and practices to be fair, and a conscientious few even read them. For some users, unfair policies and practices may be enough to turn them away from a website or service. This version of our privacy and cookies policy is an adapted version of the general policy, incorporating those edits that will typically be required for a social networking website.
Policy for lead generation websites